Indie Birds – The Top 10 Best Female Indie Singers Today – And Why
Let’s face it – there are a ton of talented indie female artists out there performing and recording today. I’m a huge fan of independent female artists, so I’ve compiled a list of my favorite top 10 Best Female Indie Singers who are currently performing, and why.
Here’s what I came up with (in no particular order)…
1. Regina Spektor — The Soviet Songstress has a quirky hodgepodged lyrical and musical style, but so darn moving, cute, enthusiastic, entertaining, tear-inducing, laugh-inducing, etc…she runs the gamut, but there’s no denying her talent. Each album has its own charm.
2. Bat for Lashes‘ Natasha Khan has an incredible range and vocal clarity, and her music, enhanced by the many instruments she plays, creates a fantasy world you can’t help but want to fall into. Check out “Daniel”.
3. Rachel Yamagata – She’s kind of the queen bee of Indie Chicks. Check out her duet with Ray LaMontagne – it’s kind of remarkable how similar they sound!
4. Cat Power is such a rock star. She’s like the Ally Sheedy character in “The Breakfast Club” – so strange and beautiful, and you definitely wouldn’t want to mess with her. “Silver Stallion” is a favorite.
5. PJ Harvey – This lady has been around the block a few times, and has mastered how to put a song together. Personally, I’m a fan of her earlier grittier (raunchier) stuff, although I can’t get enough of “You Said Something”.
6. Jenny Lewis – Lead singer of the band Rilo Kiley, Lewis went solo, putting out poetic teenagery lyrics coupled with a pristine vocal clarity. I love her entire album “Acid Tongue”.
7. Neko Case – Big Strong twangy vocals with (sometimes) dark and haunting country-esque lyrics. She’s fantastic live, and her album Fox Confessor Brings the Flood is an all time favorite.
8. Sharon Jones – can bring the house down live. Powerful, soul-shaking musicianship. Check out “100 Days, 100 Nights”.
9. Feist – Arguably so successful that “Indie” may not fit anymore because her song “1,2,3,4” was featured in an iPod commercial (the holy grail for Indie artists), but she is certainly is an alternative artist with a unique honey voice.
10. Alison Mosshart, singer for The Kills and The Dead Weather is straight up rock and roll. Her voice is gritty, fun, and dynamic. And her style, well, it kills.
Whether you agree with my picks for the Top 10 Best Female Indie Singers out there today, there is no disputing that all of these women deserve some props for being so darn cool, artistic, and strong.